Treasures from the Library Ets Haim, JNUL, Jerusalem 1980
מאוצרות ספריית עץ-חיים/מונטזינוס - Only Edition
- Sold Winning Bid: $30.00
- 3 Bid(s) View Bid History
- Lot Number 53135
- Title (English) Treasures from the Library Ets Haim/ Livraria Montezinos of the Portuguese Israelietisch Seminarium Ets Haim Amsterdam
- Title (Hebrew) מאוצרות ספריית עץ-חיים/מונטזינוס
- Note Only Edition
- Author Weiser Raphael (editor)
- City Jerusalem
- Publisher Jewish Narional and University Library
- Publication Date 1980
- Estimated Price - Low 200
- Estimated Price - High 500
- Item # 2316685
- End Date
- Start Date
Octavo, 119 pp., a very good copy bound in original wrappers.
Treasures from the Library Ets Haim/ Livraria Montezinos of the Portuguese Israelietisch Seminarium Ets Haim Amsterdam. Exhibition Catalogue; Text in English and Hebrew.
The Ets Haim – Livraria Montezinos was founded in 1616 as a seminary with a library that would soon expand. Its original name was Academia y Yesiba Ets Haim. It’s the oldest, still functioning Jewish library. The library consists of 560 manuscripts and 30,000 printed works, with a large and rich collection in the field 17 and 18 Judaism in particular. The library reflects more than 400 years of Portuguese culture in the Netherlands.
Many manuscripts, often written or copied by the teachers, students and alumni of Ets Haim, have not yet been opened up. The printed works show that Amsterdam cherished its freedom of press and expression, which benefited Jews around the world. They are also a testimony to the open-mindedness of the Portuguese Jews. Next to the many religious publications are works on a wide variety of topics, from natural science, history, music, prose, poetry and grammar.