Seder HaDorot, R. Jehiel ben Solomon Heilprin, Carslruhe 1769
סדר הדורות - First Edition
- Sold Winning Bid: $200.00
- 11 Bid(s) View Bid History
- Lot Number 53243
- Title (English) Seder HaDorot
- Title (Hebrew) סדר הדורות
- Note First Edition
- Author R. Jehiel ben Solomon Heilprin
- City Carlsruhe
- Publisher דפוס יוהאן פרידריך קארנעליוס שטערן
- Publication Date 1769
- Estimated Price - Low 300
- Estimated Price - High 600
- Item # 2343624
- End Date
- Start Date
First edition, , 180 ff., folio, 320:195 mm., age and damp staining, wide margins. A good copy bound in contemporary boards, rubbed, no spine.
The Seder HaDorot or "Book of Generations" (completed 1725, published 1768) by Lithuanian Rabbi Jehiel Heilprin (1660–1746) is a Hebrew-language chronological work that serves as a depot of multiple Hebrew language chronological books and manuscripts. The work presents all given dates in the Hebrew calendar format.
As well, Heilprin analyzed alternating and sometimes conflicting dates to produce a final decision and/or at times presents two plausible dates for a given event.
This work consists of three independent volumes or parts:
- The first of these, entitled Yemot 'Olam, is a history from the Creation down to his own time. The author always endeavors to give, by means of calculation, the dates of Biblical personages. He bases his work on the Yuḥasin of Abraham Zacuto, on the Shalshelet HaKabbalah of Gedaliah ibn Yaḥya, and on the Ẓemaḥ Dawid of David Gans. It seems that this first part was written when the author was still young, for the last event which he registered was one occurring in 1697.
- The second part, Seder HaTanna'im WehaAmora'im, contains lists of the Tannaim and Amoraim in alphabetical order with their dates.
- The third part is a kind of catalogue containing first the names of all the authors, then those of their works, both arranged in alphabetical order. Heilprin based this part on the Sifte Yeshenim of Shabbethai Bass, but added a great number of other titles. He states in the preface the many advantages of a knowledge of the chronological order of the Talmudists, which indeed in certain cases is absolutely necessary.
The whole work is followed by notes on the Talmud, also arranged in alphabetical order. It was published for the first time by Heilprin's grandson, Judah Löb Heilprin, at Karlsruhe in 1769. There exist several other editions, the latest being the revised one of Naphtali Maskileison, son of Abraham Maskileison Warsaw, 1882.
Of Heilprin's numerous other works mentioned in the Seder HaDorot, the only one which has been published is Erke HaKinnuyim, a dictionary of synonyms and homonyms occurring in the Bible, Talmud, and other works, chiefly Kabalistic (Dyhernfurth, 1806).
R. Jehiel ben Solomon Heilprin (Hebrew: יחיאל היילפרין; c. 1660 – c. 1746) was a Lithuanian rabbi, kabalist, and chronicler. He was a descendant of Solomon Luria, and traced his genealogy back through Rashi to the tanna Johanan HaSandlar. He was rabbi of Hlusk, Minsk Voivodeship until 1711, when he was called to the rabbinate of Minsk, where he officiated also as head of the yeshivah until his death. Heilprin was one of the most eminent Talmudists of his time. He was opposed to casuistry, and on this account succeeded in grouping around him a great number of liberal-minded pupils. For a long time he had to sustain a hard struggle with Aryeh Leib ben Asher Gunzberg, who, while still a young man, had founded a yeshivah at Minsk, which at first was very flourishing. Aryeh Leib attacked Heilprin's method of teaching, and the antagonism between them spread to their pupils. Later, Aryeh Leib, being obliged to assist his father in the district rabbinate, neglected his yeshivah, which was ultimately closed, and Heilprin was no longer interfered with.
Heilprin devoted a part of his time to the study of Kabbalah, on which subject he wrote a work. He was opposed to giving approbations to new books, deviating, as he himself says, only twice from his general principle in this regard. The two works so favored were the Ir Ḥomah of Abraham Judah Elijah and the Magen HaElef of Aryeh Löb of Plock.
ספר סדר הדורות : זה ספר תולדות אדם גדול בתורה ובחסידות ... וגם הגה"ה על כל הש"ס ... שמות ספרי תורה נביאים וכתובים. וכל המפרשים בשמותם נקובים. ושמות כל הספרים בערך א"ב מסודרים. ובעלי מחברים ותוכן עניינהם[!] ... חברו ... ר’ יחיאל אב"ד ... מינסק, בן ... ר’ שלמה אב"ד ... סקלאב, נכד ... ר’ שלמה לוריא ... והובא לבית הדפוס ע"י נכדו ... ר’ אריהודא ליב בהרב ... אייזק, אב"ד ... קאיידנוב ...
דף [3, ב]: הקדמת נכד בעל המחבר, המביא לבית הדפוס, ר’ אריהודא ליב ב"ר יצחק אייזק היילפרין.
הספר נחלק לשלושה מדורים עיקריים:
[א]: סדר ימות עולם סדר הדורות; תולדות אישים ומאורעות מאז בריאת העולם ועד סמוך לדורו של המחבר.
[ב]: סדר התנאים ואמוראים; תולדות התנאים והאמוראים בפירוט יתר מזה שבחלק א.
[ג]: שמות בעלי מחברים וכל הספרים בערך א"ב מסודרים. מדור מיוחד למחברים ומדור מיוחד לספרים.
Bibliography of the Hebrew Book 1470-1960 # 000126708 ; EJ