Mizrah, Sabbath Candle Lighting, Jerusalem c.1866
מזרח, הדלקת נרות שבת - Unrecorded - Women - No copy major collections
- Lot Number 54185
- Title (English) Mizrah with Sabbath Candle Lighting Blessings
- Title (Hebrew) מזרח, הדלקת נרות שבת
- Note Unrecorded - Women - No copy major collections
- City Jerusalem
- Publisher אברהם רוטינבערג
- Publication Date c. 1866
- Estimated Price - Low 2,000
- Estimated Price - High 3,000
- Item # 2549483
- End Date
- Start Date
Broadside on paper, 350:440mm., light age toning, creased on folds, small tears on few folds.
Rare - Not in HaLevy's, Jerusalem Imprints - no copy major collections. Bibliographically unknown, does not appear in "Sifrei Yerushalayim HaRishonim" by Shoshana HaLevi and differs from the Mizrah mentioned in Isaac Yudlov's Bibliography Institute CD Listing 000313739 and from other Mizrah items printed in Jerusalem in that period.
The Mizrah - intended for the eastern wall of the synagogue or the house as is the case with this lot. In the center is printed the word מזרח in large letters with the blessing underneath in quarter moon with florets over and under the blessing. Following below is a seven branch menorah with an oil cask on the right and the seal of the Austrian Jewish Community in Jerusalem (may be an ink impression rather than a printed seal). Four eagles with two floral columns complete the center. The entire broadside is encased in a floral border with images of The Kotel, The Tomb of Rachel, The Tomb of Zecharya, and the Ma'arat HaMachpela in Hebron, on the corners. Printed for use by women to recite the Candle Lighting blessing and two supplications in Yiddish to be recited after lighting the the candles. One prayer calls for the woman to contribute to the Rebbe Meir Ba'al HaNess charity box while reciting the prayer - presumably before lighting candles. The other appears to be a traditional supplication of Ashkenazi Jewish women recited after the lighting of the candles.
In the lower center of the broadside the city of press, Jerusalem, appears with the name of the printer below. Abraham Rotenberg's printing press operated in Jerusalem from 1866-1868 and from 1877-1878; this leaf was dated based on similar items printed in this press.
During the 18th and 19th centuries, and up to the present a votive tablet called "Mizrah or Shivviti," was put up in front of those praying in the synagogue. These synagogue plaques contain biblical and/or kabbalistic verses, concerning the Law and the Torah. Most of them were profusely decorated in shapes and colors. The most common motifs of decoration were the seven-branched menorah of the Temple, and symbolic buildings representing different "Holy Places" in Erez Israel, such as Jerusalem or the tombs of sages and righteous men. Some are decorated with animals or mythical beasts and persons. Others serve as amulets, containing magical symbols, such as the Magen David, and magical verses. Most of the Shivviti plaques derive from Eastern Europe in the 19th century. There are, however, some plaques which come from North Africa, mainly from Morocco.